Monday, March 3, 2008

A Note on the Type

Why is it that some books include a short paragraph at the back of the book telling you what typeface was used? Whenever I notice it I always feel a bit sheepish, like they are drawing my attention to something I should have noticed on my own. Why I feel that I have no idea. I know nothing about typefaces, but because I am a compulsive reader I always read the paragraph about the typeface. This from the book I am currently reading (The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup by Susan Orlean) :

This book was set in Fairfield, the first typeface from the hand of the distinguished American artist and engraver Rudolph Ruzicka (1883-1978). In its structure Fairfield displays the sober and sane qualities of the master craftsman whose talent has long been dedicated to clarity. It is this trait that accounts for the trim grace and vigor, the spirited design and sensitive balance, of this original typeface.

Rudolph Ruzicka was born in Bohemia and came to America in 1894.

Sober and sane qualities? In a typeface even. Pity I can't say the same about the majority of the people I meet.

No comments: