Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Vacation

I'm back from a too-short vacation (aren't they always too short?) and what is the first thing I read in my in box? A rejection letter from a magazine I submitted a short story to a few months ago. What a drag. But, alas, that is the life of a writer. To be fair, the magazine in question published a story of mine a few years ago so it's not all bad. The vacation was fun (thanks for asking). We were planning on going to Ottawa but couldn't find a hotel room, everything was booked up because of the Ottawa marathon. So we stayed here in Toronto and did touristy things which was actually kind of fun. I didn't get much reading done, mostly because vacationing with my non-stop husband always feels like I've entered an adventure race. But I did snag a copy of the latest Bust magazine as we raced by a magazine stand (Amy Sedaris is on the cover!) and snuck peeks at it as we zoomed around the city on the subway.

Probably because I was too busy to write anything else, I started writing haikus in my head and then jotting them down later in my moleskine. Years ago I went through a phase where I wrote a haiku a day. It's actually kind of fun. I like the restrictions of the 5 syllable, 7 syllable, 5 syllable format. It's like exercise for your brain. I've decided to keep it up for a while. I may even share some of them here. If you feel like taking the haiku-a-day challenge then please join me!

No comments: