Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Austen's Latest Convert

The man about the house has just finished reading Pride and Prejudice. Judging by how quickly he read it, I'd say he liked it a lot. I quite enjoyed coming into the room to find him reading Jane Austen. An annoying man once bragged to me that he had never read Austen because he considered her "a girl's writer." He then went on to list all the other writers he had never read for, presumably, this same reason. I remember the Bronte sisters' names being mentioned, maybe Woolf, I forget who else. At the time it made me quite angry. Now I feel sorry for him. Imagine life without all those great books. Lucky for me my guy is one of those modern, sensitive types, too smart to divide the world of books into girls' and boys' writers. And lucky for him.

1 comment:

Bybee said...

Oh, my former next door neighbor was like that...his shelves were groaning with Steinbeck and Hemingway...and he gave me that speech you mentioned in your blog entry, almost word-for-word. But there are men in the world that balance out those types. My first husband is a huge Jane Austen fan.