Monday, July 7, 2008

More Freebies

My mystery neighbour, the one who is cleaning off their bookshelves, keeps dumping unwanted books in the lobby of my apartment building and I keep browsing the pile. Over the weekend I snagged a fun-looking book called Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah MacDonald. Description: Author journeys to India and writes a funny book about it. It looks like a good summer read. I'm looking forward to it. For some reason I like books about Indian, fiction as well as non-fiction. It's funny because the idea of actually going to India scares the willies out of me. I'm the yoga, meditating, vegetarian type but I don't think I could handle the crowds, filth, beggars and general chaos that is India. Maybe I'll get there in my next lifetime, when I am not so hung up on sanitation and am a more adventuresome soul. I need to evolve before I can go to India.

This morning I found a copy of McSweeney's in the lobby. It is issue 13, filled with cartoons, comic strips and graphic art. Looks fun, even though I know nothing about this sort of thing. Wait I did recognize something. I like the artist Seth and there is something by him. Strange fact: I once saw Seth on the streets of Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Which is where he lives, I believe. I recognized him from a profile I'd read in Toronto Life magazine. He's a very cool guy and always dresses in 1940's garb. This made him quite easy to pick out. He was the only person wearing a fedora. He strolled by a shop I was in but I was too shy to chase him down and tell him I'm a fan of his work. So I'll tell you and maybe it will get back to him.

No comments: