Monday, July 21, 2008

Talk To Me, Baby

I have this really great book called Poetry Speaks which came with 3 CDs of poets reading from their own work. Poets like: Alfred, Lord Tennyson, W.B. Yeats, Slyvia Plath, T.S. Eliot, Robert Browning, Walt Whitman, William Carlos Williams, Edna St. Vincent Millay, e.e. cummings, Louise Bogan, W.H. Auden, Elizabeth Bishop, Dylan Thomas and Anne Sexton. Incredibly, huh? Ever since I got it I've wanted to change my answering machine message to Yeats reading from "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" but the man about the house won't let me. Actually I want my message to be me saying "Name the poem and I'll call you back." I figure that way I'll probably never have to return another call in my life. Or else if I do it will be to someone I actually want to talk to.

Anyway, I've been thinking lately that I'd like to get more CDs like this, of poetry being read or actors reading Shakespeare. So, if you know of anything like this please leave me a comment and I promise to always return your calls.

No comments: