Thursday, August 7, 2008

Brideshead Re-revisited

I don't understand why anyone would make a new film version of Brideshead Revisited after it has been so beautifully, so lovingly, so perfectly done in the 1980's 11 part British miniseries. Why I ask you? Why set yourself up for failure like that? Life dishes out enough of it already, don't go begging for it. Pick another book would have been my advice, but I wasn't asked. I guess it's obvious I won't be lining up at the movie theatre for this one, huh? It does make me want to see the miniseries again though. It's available on DVD, I was just eyeballing it on Amazon. Really, if you haven't seen the miniseries yet and you get the chance to, don't miss it. Maybe PBS will play it again. That would be wonderful. Please PBS, please play Brideshead Revisited again.

Of course, nothing compares to the book. But I knew you knew that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One critic referred to the movie as the CliffsNotes to the book. I agree. It's impossible to come anywhere near to the novel or the miniseries in a two-hour movie. Noticeably missing from the movie are: the music of the miniseries; the character development of some of the characters (esp. Cordelia); Jeremy Irons' mellifluous narration; Laurence Olivier and John Gielgud's portrayals of the fathers; the delicacy of the "romantic friendship" between the two lead males (instead of the heavy-handed 2008 gay sensibility of the movie) ... One thing I did approve of in the movie is that Sebastian and Julia really look like they could be brother and sister. And that's one reason Charles loved Julia -- because she was so much like Sebastian in some ways. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) ... The movie is worth viewing, but I would recommend to anyone who likes the movie that he/she must then see the miniseries and then read the book. (If you read the book after you see the miniseries, you'll hear Jeremy Irons' voice reading it to you!)

firstlinefiction said...

Thanks for your take on the movie. Maybe I'll rent it when it comes out on DVD. I, too, love the music from the miniseries, I can hear it in my head as I type this. I never even thought about how they might (have) became heavy-handed with the gay aspect of the story. So much in life is subtle but so often Hollywood fails to realize that. I agree with you about the casting choice to make Sebastian and Julia look alike - strange I've never thought of that before. I can't remember how they are described in the novel. I'll probably reread it soon since it so much on my mind lately. Thanks for leaving a comment!