Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ascent

Recently I read Inspired Lives: The Best of Real Life Yoga from Ascent Magazine. Though I had never read Ascent magazine before I had seen it on news stands. I found my copy of Inspired Lives in a used bookstore and it was cheap, and I was in the mood, so I took it home. (Please note I only do this with books.) I was a bit surprised by how quickly I devoured it. Usually with anthologies I read a bit, put it down, pick it up again later. But this was so, well, inspiring, I read it from cover to cover in just a few days. I've been doing yoga for almost twenty years and recently have begun to get interested in the yoga behind the physical postures - the spirituality and history and ancient texts. This book gathered together a fabulous collection of essays and interviews with people who are putting the philosophy of yoga to work in their everyday lives.

The other day I was passing a bookstore and went in and bought the current issue of Ascent. I like their tag line : Yoga for an inspired life. I'm enjoying it as much as I did Inspired Lives. If you are the kind of person like me who would rather read about people who are making positive changes in the world, rather than negative ones, like you so often get in newspapers, then check it out. I also noticed they have a special "give 3 gifts for the price of 2" subscription offer going on for the holidays. Check it out here.

No comments: