Monday, January 28, 2008

Inscriptions

So, Saturday night I was cruising the shelves of one of my favourite used bookstores and found a copy of The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup by Susan Orlean. I knew about this collection of essays (mostly New Yorker pieces) but had never seen a copy before. I am also a big fan of The Orchid Thief, also by Orlean. Anyway, this copy didn't look like it had even been read and after opening it, I found an inscription on the inside cover. I like inscriptions, I know they make booksellers and collectors shudder, but hey, I'm neither. I'm just nosy. This inscription reads:
Hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
Love, Meredith
Happy Birthday!

Then I found the bookmark (one of those freebie ugly ones from a large chain) stuck about midway through. I'm betting this wasn't such a hit as a birthday present, but I'm glad to have it. And hey Meredith, if you're reading this I like your taste in books and I have a birthday coming up. Wanna be friends?

No comments: