Thursday, February 28, 2008

Best of the Booker

I've been rather amused by this latest prize: the best of the Booker. Forty years worth of Booker prize winners and this summer a team of judges is going to name the best of the best. But not without your help (if you feel like tossing in your two cents worth). The public has been invited to weigh in with their choices. And since this is Britain, the betting has already begun. According to the bookies Yann Martel's Life of Pi is leading the pack.

Now, I must admit to being of two minds about all this. First, I don't quite understand all this competitiveness in the world. And not just in literature, in everything really. What is this obsession with being the best? Can there be a best book? Of course there can't and we all know it. That said, I have been enjoying thinking about it. What is my favourite Booker? I haven't read them all, though I've read a fair number of them. And this has made me want to reread some of my favourites as well as all the novels I've missed. Which I hope is really the point of the contest. If you want to find out more click here to go to the Booker site.

What's your favourite Booker prize winner?

No comments: