Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Congratulations to Bob Dylan

I read in this morning's paper that Bob Dylan has been awarded an honorary Pulitzer Prize for his "profound impact on popular music and American culture." Congrats Bob. I've always been something of a Bob Dylan fan, and mainly because of his clever lyrics. I also like that this coincides with Poetry month, because song lyrics are a form of poetry. Some people may sniff at that statement, not wanting their high art mixed with pop culture but songwriters use many of the same tools a poet does: rhythm, metaphor, imagery, repetition - you get the idea. I have to admit I used to keep the two quite separate in my mind, poetry and song lyrics. Then I fell in love with a guy who adores music. I gradually realized the words were more important to my love than the actual music. Which was weird to me because I tend to judge music by how much it makes me want to dance, but hey, love expands your horizons, right? This is all a roundabout way of saying, even if you never read poetry, you may be more of a fan than you realize.

No comments: