Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Explaining Poetry Better Than I Can

It's the last day of National Poetry month (yeah, I'm a little sad) so I thought I'd recommend a couple of books for those people who would like to better understand poetry. (With my acute psychic powers I sensed there are shy millions of you wanting to know more.)

Rules of the Dance by Mary Oliver is about reading and writing metrical verse and includes an anthology of 50 poems. Confused by all those "old-fashioned" poems? Spend not a moment longer in poetry induced frustration. This book will sort you out.

A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver is more of a general guide to poetry, covering the more
traditional forms as well as modern ones, like free verse. It includes several poems as well as advice for the practising poet.

No comments: