Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I need more time

Wouldn't it be great if you could stretch the day? Squeeze a few more hours out of it for things like reading? It's so easy to buy books, but so hard to find the time to read them all. I mentioned I've been getting interested in Virago titles, well, I added four more to my collection. Last Friday I stopped by the book shop in the reference library here in Toronto. They sell withdrawn library books as well as books that have been donated to the library. When I cull my overflowing bookshelves that's where I take my no longer wanted books, though it tends to be self defeating since I always end up buying more from their shop and schlepping them home. Anyway I was nosing through their shelves last week when I spotted two Antonia White novels: Frost in May (which I knew was the very first Virago title) and The Sugar House. When I got them home and had a closer look, I realized they were numbers 1 and 3 in a series of 4 books that White wrote. In fact, they seem to be the only novels she wrote.

The next day was sunny and warm and the love of my life proposed we take a drive to a nearby city where he would buy me lunch and let me browse around one of my favourite out of town used bookstores. How could I refuse? After some delicious vegetarian Chinese food I was let loose to roam among the shelves. You know what's coming next - I found the missing numbers 2 and 4 of the White quartet: The Lost Traveller and Beyond the Glass. The best part is the two books at the library set me back a whole $2 and the other two books were priced at $4 each, so for only 10 bucks I bought the set! Now all I need is the time to read them.

No comments: